Monday, May 21, 2012

Assimilation of with

with + you
with + me
etc

1. I want to go with you.
2. She went to the movies with me.
3. I ordered a pizza with real cheese.
4. They manage to do it with little time to spare.
5. I ate it with a fork.
6. She compared it with an orange.
7. She tried with all her might.
8. They pointed at it with four sticks.
9. He installed the app with seven clicks.
10. I tried it with two teaspoons of olive oil.
11. I wiped up the mess with damp kitchen towels.
12. He was with the president.
13. She's always been afraid of storms with thunder.


Blue: voiced


Well, pronunciation of with varies for me, depending on its surrounding phonetic environment. In some cases, it may even partially assimilate with whatever word follows it. Note that this is at the speed of uninterrupted, casual speech. I'm no expert in IPA notation, so please mind.

1. [ɑ wɑnə goʊ̯ tʃu.]
2. [ʃiː wɛ̃ tʰɾ muːviz mi.]
3. [aɪ̯ o˞ɾɚɾ ʌ pʰiːtsa wɪʔ ɹiːɫ tʃiːz.]
4. [d̪eɪ̯ mænɪdʒ tʰ dʊ̈ ɪʔ wɪʔ lɪɾl̩ tʰaɪ̯m tʰ speɪ̯˞.]
5. [ɑː eɪ̯ɾ ɪʔ wɪð̺ ʌ fo˞kʰ.]
6. [ʃiː kʰm̩peɪ̯˞ɾ ɪʔ wɪð̺ ɪn o˞ndʒ.]
7. [ʃiː tʃɹaɪ̯ɾ wɪð̺ ɔːɫ hɝ maɪ̯ʔ.]
8. [d̪eɪ̯ pʰoi̯ntʰɪɾ æɾ ɪʔ wɪˈfo˞ stɪks.]
9. [hiː ɪnstɔːlði æp wɪʔ sɛvɪn kʰlɪks.]
10. [ɑ tʃɹaɪ̯ɾ ɪʔ wɪʔ tʰuː tʰiːspunz ʌv ɑlɪv oɪ̯ɫ.]
11. [ɑ waɪ̯pd ʌp d̪ mɛs wɪʔ dæmp kɪtʃɪn taʊ̯wʊɫz.]
12. [hiː wʌz tʌ pʰɹɛzɪɾɪ̃.]
13. [ʃiːz ɔːɫweɪ̯z bɪn ʌfˈɹeɪ̯ɾ ʌv sto˞mz ˈtʌndɚ.]


Source: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9697&start=2550

No comments: